I have loved lemonade for as long as I can remember. However, as I’ve aged I like to think my tastes have become a bit more elegant (except you still can’t beat a box of Annie’s mac and cheese- I’m not 100% adult, promise). So I’ve moved on from scooping instant lemonade to squeezing my own and creating more of a flavor profile.
With summer in full swing the flavors I come up with are generally quite fruity or fresh with herbs, so why not combine? This blackberry-sage combination is most definitely one of my favorites, right up there with my Lavender Lemonade, Basil Lemonade, and Pomegranate Mint Lemonade (totally tooting my own horn, once again- super mature.)
1. In a small saucepan over medium heat add simple syrup ingredients.
2. Let these come to a soft boil then reduce to a simmer for about 3 minutes.
3. Pour the simple syrup mixture through a strainer to remove sage leaves, let cool completely.
4. Mix freshly squeezed lemon juice, simple syrup, vodka, and 2 ½ cups of water in a large pitcher.
5. Thoroughly mash the blackberries and then add to the lemon juice mixture.
6. Add ice and whole sage leaves.
7. Stir well, garnish with lemon, blackberry, and sage and enjoy!
What is your favorite summer flavor combination- have a lemonade recipe I should try? Let me know in the comments below!