Happy Summer Solstice! The first day of summer is (finally) upon us. Summer to me is playtime. Gorgeous weather, outdoor parties, grilling, and fun drinks- everything about it just screams fun. I’ve always wished that the ‘big kids’ aka adults with jobs could go on summer vacation just like we all did in school. However, the next best thing is Friday at five o’clock when the weekend starts. How better to celebrate than with a delicious cocktail?
A couple weeks ago when browsing Mr. and Mrs. P’s food blog, I saw their super simple and incredibly delicious looking recipe for lavender simple syrup. Simple syrup to me just screams lemonade. I always use it in lemonade to avoid those rouge, unmelted grains of sugar that add the unwanted crunch to a fresh batch. I took lavender lemonade from weekday to weekend by adding a kick with vodka. Let the party begin!
Ingredients to Make a Half-Gallon:
2 ½ Cups Water
2 Cups Freshly Squeezed Lemon Juice
2 Cups Lavender Simple Syrup (2 Cups sugar, 2 cups water, 6 tablespoons Lavender Flowers)
1 ½ Cups Vodka (I prefer Ketel One)
1. Make the simply syrup! Combine 2 cups sugar, 2 cups water, and 6 tablespoons lavender flowers in a saucepan on medium heat.
2. Meanwhile, juice your lemons. I like to roll each lemon on the counter under my palm to help coax more juice out of each fruit, and then use a citrus press to extract the most possible juice.
3. To make interesting ice cubes I fill an ice cube tray halfway up with water and then let it freeze. When the ice is frozen add fresh lavender flowers and small lemon wedges then fill the remaining space with water and freeze again. This adds a fun twist to the drinks as the ice melts!
4. When the lavender simple syrup has boiled for five minutes take it off the heat and let cool. Do not put your finger in the pot to check the temperature. I know from experience it hurts! (Patience is not one of my best qualities.)
5. Mix lemon juice, water, and vodka in a pitcher.
6. When the lavender simple syrup is cool, strain the liquid into the pitcher. Mix well.
7. Garnish with a lemon slice and fresh lavender flowers.
8. Serve chilled and enjoy!