One of the great things about winter is the abundance of tropical fruit available. If you’ve been reading ChickadeeSays for a while now, you know that fruit is one of the three foods that I could survive on (the others are cheese and bread for you newcomers- welcome by the way!). So, couple my sweet tooth with all of the tropical fruit cluttering up my kitchen counters, and you get a very tasty, and yet super simple Broiled Tropical Fruit Salad.
– Tropical Fruit
I Used: 1 Pineapple, 2 Grapefruits, 1 Carambola (starfruit)
– ¼ Cup Brown Sugar
– 1 Tablespoon Nutmeg
– Cookie Sheet Lined with Parchment Paper
1. Preheat your oven to Broil or the hottest temperature available, and place the oven rack about 6 inches from the top of the oven.
2. Chop each fruit into bite size pieces. I found that the easiest way to do this with grapefruit was to slice each fruit into 1 inch layers and then carefully unravel the sections from their membranes. For instructions on how to easily chop grapefruit check out this post. I would recommend using a cutting board with a groove for catching liquids while prepping, as it could get quite messy. Plus, you can use a straw to suck up the leftover fruit juice. YUM.
3. Transfer all fruit pieces to a large bowl and add brown sugar and nutmeg. Combine Well.
4. Using a slotted spoon create a single layer of fruit on your parchment lined cookie sheet.
5. Place this in the preheated oven and let broil for about ten minutes or until the sugar is brown and bubbly.
This tastes fabulous served either hot or cold. I love it over ice cream or straight out of the oven!