There’s no other way to describe it- my dogs are spoiled. And I am completely okay with this! The spoiling has only gotten worse after their Instagram account blew up, with fans all over the world they revel in attention. Bring out a camera? They pose.
I have always made my girls (Tinkerbelle and Meeko) homemade dog treats for lots of occasions from Peanut-Butter Peach Frozen Treats in the summer, to birthday cakes (like I said, spoiled.) So with Christmas right around the corner, I knew something festive needed to be made!
These treats only require a few ingredients, have no added sugar (other than optional honey in the icing) and have the girls begging for more! Plus, I’ve topped them off with their favorite jerky treats from the ILY brand that sponsors them, you just can’t get better than that! (Prefer a video version of this recipe? Scroll down!)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. Add all cookie ingredients to a bowl. Mix well.
3. Roll out dough to desired thickness. Thinner cookies will bake faster, thicker ones will take longer. (If you don’t want to roll out the whole batch, pop the remainder in plastic wrap and store it in the freezer!)
4. Using cookie cutters, cut out treat shapes.
5. Transfer onto baking sheets lined with parchment paper.
6. Pop in the oven and let cook 20-25 minutes (my thick cookies took 25.)
7. Meanwhile make the icing by adding icing ingredients into a small bowl and whipping until full incorporated. Set aside.
8. After removing cookies from the oven let cool COMPLETELY before icing! If you don’t the yogurt will melt off!
9. Ice the cookies. I used a piping bag with a star tip, but you could always use a knife or a spatula.
10. Top your icing with whatever decorations you’d like. I used organic kelp to make the trees green (kelp is chock full of great nutrients for your pups!) and ILY Venison Jerky.
11. Let harden and let your pups enjoy! Store in an airtight container in the fridge!
What kind of treats do you get or make your pups for the holidays? Let me know in the comments below!