I am that dog mom. I always have been, always will be. My dogs are spoiled but sweet, so when a birthday comes around there’s nothing better than baking up something delicious to celebrate! Meeko turned FIVE (which just blows my mind) on November second which just so happens to be smack dab in the middle of pumpkin season so Spiced Pumpkin Pupcakes it had to be!
These easy to make cakes are great for a number of reasons. First and foremost dogs love them; which for a birthday celebration is necessary! But my favorite reason is how great the ingredients are for your pups. Pumpkin is wonderful for your pup’s digestion and is also chock full of vitamins A and C. Cinnamon both in pups and in humans is great for blood sugar regulation so it helps maintain a healthy weight, particularly if you have an older pup who tends to get overweight. And lastly ginger is another great ingredient for your pup’s digestion or upset stomach!
Spiced Pumpkin Pupcakes Ingredients
For the Cakes:
3 Cups Unbleached Flour
1 Cup Pumpkin Puree (my recipe here)
3 Large Eggs
4 Tablespoons Coconut Oil
2 Teaspoons Baking Soda
1 Tbs Cinnamon
1 Tsp Ground Ginger
For the Frosting:
8oz Cream Cheese
1/4 Cup Pumpkin Puree
Spiced Pumpkin Pupcakes Instructions
1 Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and bring cream cheese out of the fridge to come to room temperature.
2. In a large bowl combine your wet ingredients- the pumpkin, eggs, and coconut. Whisk well until thoroughly combined.
3. Combine all dry ingredients- flour, cinnamon, ginger, and baking soda and mix well.
4. Slowly incorporate the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and knead until the mixture turns into a ‘batter’ that is closer to bread dough than cake batter. Meaning it is a bit sticky and not liquid at all!
5. Line a cupcake tin with your favorite liners (mine are reusable silicone cupcake liners and I LOVE them) and fill each liner about three quarters of the way up with your dough.
6. Pop into the oven for 15-20 minutes or until slightly risen and golden brown.
7. In the meantime, using a hand mixer in a medium bowl whip together two tablespoons of pumpkin puree and the 8 ounces of cream cheese.
8. In a piping bag (I have reusable bags and a slew of tips) with a large star tip, spread the remaining pumpkin puree down to the tip on the side of the bag for a fun swirl! Add in your ‘frosting’ and set aside.
9. When the spiced pumpkin pupcakes are cool pipe your pup-friendly icing onto the cakes.
And enjoy! These pupcakes are so much fun for either your pup’s birthday party (yes, I have 100% thrown a puppy birthday party!) or for celebrating at home. I would love to know what kind of pup parent you are- are you that mom like I am, spoiling your furbabies, or are you a bit more chill? Let me know over on Instagram– and ALWAYS tag me in your puppy pictures! I love them!
Some links are affiliate links. All opinions are my own.