We all know by now that I am *that* dog mom. The one who spoils her fur babies just as any normal mom would spoil their less-fuzzy counterparts. So, in the spirit of over-spoiling my fluffs, I decided that they needed Valentine’s Day themed sandwich cookies. Made of a few simple ingredients, they are great for your pups, easy on the wallet, and incredibly festive!
Now these cookies are sure to make your pup happy whether or not you include the frosting, so thats up to you. However, I will say that if you are looking to preserve the treats for longer, opt out of the frosting! So without further ado- Valentine’s Day Dog Treat Sandwiches!
Ingredients for the Valentine’s Day Dog Treat Sandwiches
2 Cups Whole Wheat Flour
1 Cup Beets
1/2 Cup Rolled Oats
1/2 Cup Peanut Butter (sugar free if possible)
Two Large Eggs
For the Icing:
1/2 Cup Greek Yogurt
1/2 Cup Potato Starch
2-3 Tablespoons of Water
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
- Using gloves (because beet stains are a PAIN to get off!) roughly chop your cup of beets, and add beets and eggs into a food processor.
- Process the egg-beat mixture until smooth and the eggs have gone completely pink. This mixture is what will color your treats!
- Slowly incorporate your oats, flour, and peanut butter into the food processor and combine.
- After ingredients are roughly combined in the food processor, tip the mixture out and knead it into a dough. If the mixture is a bit too dry (this can depend on humidity, size of your eggs, etcetera) add a tablespoon of water a little at a time to allow dough to bind.
- Roll out the dough into a uniform sheet about a quarter inch thick and use cookie cutters to cut out your shapes! (I used both heart and bone cookie cutters!)
- Place your cut cookies on baking sheets lined with either Silpats (my favorite!) or parchment paper, and pop into your preheated oven.
- Let cookies bake for 20 minutes or until cookies have puffed up slightly and easily slide around the baking sheet.
- Let cool completely.
- As the treats are cooling, mix your starch, yogurt, and 2 tablespoons of water together to form a paste. Slowly add the final tablespoon of water a tiny bit at a time until the icing is at the consistency you prefer. (More water to dip cookies, less to make sandwiches!)
- Add icing to your completely cooled cookies and allow to dry!
- Let your pups enjoy!
These simple treats are very much loved by my two fluffy pups, especially when they get to chow down on an icing-laden sandwich! What is your favorite way to spend a holiday with your fur baby? Let me know in the comments below!
Prefer to watch your recipes being made? Take a peek at my Valentine’s Day Dog Treat Sandwich video!
Some links are affiliate links. All opinions are my own.