I don’t know if it is just me, but I have been seeing carefully curated salads all over my Instagram feed lately. While I am more of a ‘chuck in all in a bowl and call it a day’ salad maker I wanted to try my hand at perfecting a bowl of green goodness. And completely tooting my own horn here- my Shaved Spring Salad is pretty Instagram worthy and really wasn’t that much extra work.
Now, I know that I have been all about the non-recipe recipes here (like my simple roasted root vegetables) on MHH lately but with buying a house, moving, and trying to get settled in, step by step, measured out recipes haven’t been in the forefront of my mind. Instead I fuel my body with what is in the fridge and this week it was a ton of spring greens and on-sale avocados! So while you can use exactly what I used- which I will pop down below- to create this shaved spring salad- no worries if you have to substitute! As long as you have zucchini and asparagus you have the shaved bit in the bag!
Shaved Spring Salad Ingredients
Lemon Olive Oil Dressing Ingredients
(This makes quite a bit- I used it in meal prep afterward!):
1/4 Cup Olive Oil
Juice of Half A Lemon
1 Tablespoon Finely Chopped Shallot
Salt and Pepper, To Taste
Shaved Spring Salad Instructions
1. Toss your spinach, basil, and mint together and place in your salad bowl.
2. Using a vegetable peeler create zucchini ribbons by shaving lengthwise down the squash.
3. Use the same lengthwise shave to create curls with your asparagus and radish. If your radish is too small to curl, that is completely okay! We can tuck them into the zucchini rolls later.
4. Prep the rest of your veggies- I kept my green beans long and halved my peas. I also used my fingers to crumble the broccoli and halved the avocado.
5. This part is totally optional, but if you’d like to up the wow-factor of your zucchini roll the ribbons into rosettes and place swirl side up in your bowl! Tuck red radish slices inside the squash rolls for added color.
6. Arrange the rest of your veggies in the bowl however you’d like and top with goji berries and chia seeds.
7. If you are planning on photographing your salad, do it now! Olive oil can create a glare that is not so fun for pictures!
8. Whisk all of the dressing ingredients together and add to salad.
9. Enjoy your fancy-pants shaved spring salad!
I would love to know- have you ever done something silly that created more work for you just for Instagram? Let me know in the comments below!
Some links are affiliate links.