Farmers’ markets make me SO happy. Fun people, pups in tow, great food, and live music- can’t get better than that. This last weekend I popped over to the Cherry Creek Farmers’ Market here in Denver with a one-track mind. I wanted garlic scapes, badly. Ever since I discovered them from a farmer down the road when I lived in rural Connecticut, I’ve been in love. But they have a very fleeting season, twice a year for a few weeks apiece. However, the season is now! So pop over to your local market pick some up and have SO much fun creating garlic-y wonderfulness.
Whenever I make pesto, I make a vat of it so I can use it on everything. Shrimp, chicken, grilled corn, the list goes on. So this recipe makes quite a bit of pesto, so feel free to half it if you’re not a pesto addict like I am!
1. Chop the garlic scapes into semi-uniform 1-inch long pieces. I tend to compost the tips of the scapes that are too thin to grind, and the white bulb so the pesto chunks are more consistent.
2. Add scapes to food processor. Chop/grind well.
3. As scapes are ground add in pine nuts and cheese, then drizzle with olive oil and blend until the pesto reaches your desired consistency. Simple! Set aside.
4. Prep the veggies but chopping them into chunks.
5. Add to a large frying pan on medium heat (I use a French skillet- high sides, flat bottom) and add enough water to cover the bottom of the pan for ¼ to ½ inch. Add too much water? No worries!
6. Pop a lid on your frying pan and let steam for 10 minutes, allowing veggies to soften through.
7. Drain any excess water and add coconut oil and salt and pepper. Turn up to high heat and stir frequently to crisp up the veggies for 5 minutes!
8. While veggies are crisping, add thawed shrimp and a large dollop of pesto into a small frying pan on medium high heat. Combine well and cook for 5 minutes or until shrimp are heated through.
9. I popped some baby spinach onto my plate for my shrimp to wilt, added veggies, and enjoy!
What is your favorite thing to buy at a farmers’ market!? Let me know in the comments below!
Leave a Reply