Artichokes are EVERYWHERE right now, (yes, I know the reason why is because they’re in season!) but the look so deliciously deadly I thought I needed to bring a couple home. Deliciously deadly you say? Yes. Those little pokey leaves are a pain- literally- they draw blood! So be careful, but the pain is totally worth it!
Now, I like artichokes in every way, dips, steamed then dipped in butter, so I thought I’d try something different- stuff them. Stuffed artichokes are a bit more filling than just the leaves and the peppers give them a fresh, zesty pop!
1. In a large bowl mix the lemon juice with cold water. This mixture will keep the artichokes from browning as you work on them.
2. Prep the artichokes by removing the tough outer leaves and stem. Then carefully snip the pointy leaves.
3. In a small bowl thoroughly mix the remaining ingredients for the stuffing.
4. Remove artichokes from the lemon-water and squeeze out excess water.
5. Gently open each artichoke leaf and spoon a small bit of the stuffing mixture inside.
6. Place the stuffed artichokes in a pot, fill the pot with about 1 inch of water, enough water so that the water covers the bottom of the artichokes but doesn’t reach high enough to soak the stuffing.
7. On high heat bring water to a boil and then reduce heat to medium low.
8. Allow the artichokes to steam for about 40 minutes or until stem and leaves are tender.
9. Top with additional cheese if desired. Enjoy hot!
What are your favorite in-season veggies in the spring? Let me know in the comments below!