Okay, I admit it- this is the cheesiest recipe (and name) that exists on this blog and I ADORE it. With Valentine’s Day coming up red, pink, and white have everywhere and I knew I wanted to do something fun and festive as a side dish for the day set aside to celebrate our love (whether that is another person, or yourself it doesn’t matter!). I spotted these gorgeous beets while perusing the produce section and my cheesy self turned on, “aww, every BEET of my heart.” Yep, that’s me- weirdo extraordinaire.
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Wash, de-stem, and peel beets (mine aren’t peeled- I use the peel when I make beet-flavored dog treats!)
3. Chop beets into ¼ inch rounds, trying to stay as uniform as possible so the beets will roast evenly.
4. Now the fun part. Using a mini cookie cutter (metal works best) cut hearts from the beets. There will be a lot of ‘scrap’ beet. But there is so much you can do with fresh beets! Add them to your smoothies in the morning, blend and mix with rice, or just roast the ‘scraps’ as well and have them later!
5. Add cut beets to a bowl and top with 2 Tablespoons of olive oil, cardamom, and clove. Mix Well.
6. Transfer to a parchment paper lined baking sheet and pop in the oven.
7. Let cook for 20-30 minutes depending on desired texture- I like my beets crispy so I opted for 30 minutes, want softer beets? Cook until they can be pierced with a fork.
8. Meanwhile whisk together lemon juice, remaining olive oil, salt, and pepper.
9. Pour dressing over arugula, toss well.
10. When beets are done, toss into the salad and enjoy!
What is your favorite cheesy-themed recipe? Let me know in the comments below!