I feel like I have been ridiculously busy for months on end. And with that I know that my healthy eating has been slipping. So I decided that this weekend I was going to take a bit of time to ready myself for another packed-to-the-gills week and meal prep just a bit.
One of my favorite things to precook is a heap full of veggies that I can add to any meal for a delicious and filling side or ingredient. So, when I was in the health foods store I picked up a GIANT bag of mushrooms and a GIANT bag of Brussels sprouts and I knew I wanted to throw them together. So add a couple shallots, and a few herbs and you have a great side dish, omelette filling, or protein topper that can last all week.
– 6 Cups Brussels Sprouts, Stems Removed
– 10 Cups Mushrooms, Stems Removed
– 2 Large Shallots, Roughly Chopped
– 3 Cloves Garlic, Minced
– 2 Tablespoons plus 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil, Separated
– 1 Tablespoon Butter (optional)
– 2 Teaspoons Sage
– Salt and Pepper, To Taste
1. Preheat oven to 450 Degrees.
2. Chop de-stemmed Brussels sprouts in half, remove any wayward leaves.
3. In a large bowl toss sprouts with 2 tablespoons olive oil, salt, and pepper.
4. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper then spread sprouts in a single layer.
5. Pop sprouts into the oven for 25 minutes or until sprouts begin to turn golden brown.
6. Meanwhile, add two tablespoons olive oil to a large frying pan on medium heat.
7. Add minced garlic and chopped shallots. Stir frequently, allow to brown.
8. If desired add butter to frying pan. I like the addition of butter to give the mushrooms a richer flavor (often you see bacon in sprouts recipes for this reason).
9. Add chopped mushrooms and allow to reduce for 8-10 minutes or until mushrooms have sweat into softness.
10. Add mushroom/shallot mixture into a large bowl, add Brussels sprouts.
11. Toss well.
What is your favorite dish to meal prep? Let me know in the comments below!