I am clinging to summer with two (very tight) fists. While hiking this weekend I noticed the leaves starting to fade into autumn’s very beautiful colors yet I kept telling the colors to “go away.” Seriously, my hiking companions must have thought I was crazy, but alas, I’m a summer girl. So with that being said I absolutely love the tastes of summer, the gorgeous colors of ripening tomatoes, the fresh tastes of herbs, and the deep greens of kale and spinach. So I’ve added them all together and created a Sautéed Tomato and Herb Summer Salad, which is tasty now and is sure to keep your belly happy in the upcoming fall months.
1. Add sliced onions to a skillet preheated to medium heat with your choice of cooking oil. Stir occasionally, allowing onions to brown.
2. Slice tomatoes in half.
3. Add sliced tomatoes to the onion skillet. Stir occasionally, allow the tomatoes to warm through and become soft. 5-8 minutes.
4. Meanwhile combine mint, basil, and baby greens in a large bowl.
5. In a smaller bowl, combine lemon juice, olive oil, and balsamic vinegar.
6. Toss onion/tomato mixture with olive oil mix and bed of greens.
7. Add salt and pepper to taste.
What is your favorite season? Are you excited for fall and the fall flavors or are you clinging to summer like I am? Let me know in the comments below!