I adore spring. The trees start to bud, the flowers bloom, baby animals abound- life is renewing. However, with all of the new growth comes pollen and other allergens which can wreck havoc on your body. To combat the sniffles and other allergy symptoms when they come and to help prevent allergic reactions, I turn to a number of holistic remedies that can be found at your local supermarket or health foods store!
1. Sabadil is a homeopathic remedy for relief from allergy symptoms with components that naturally relieve, itchy throat, sneezing, runny nose, cough, and irritated eyes.
2. Local honey, emphasis on local, contains traces of this pollen native to your area. Taking a daily spoonful of honey in the months leading up to spring and throughout the season helps get your body used to the pollen in the air, desensitizing yourself from spring pollen’s effects.
3. A Neti Pot can help relieve allergy symptoms associated with your sinuses. It clears your sinuses with the aid of a salt rinse and removes internal irritants.
4. Nettle Leaves are an antihistamine, with anti-inflammatory properties that help to soothe the allergic reactions brought upon by spring allergy irritants. As your body reacts to what you’re allergic to, it swells up creating discomfort while battling the ‘invader.’ Nettle leaves can prevent this inflammation from happening.
5. A few drops of eucalyptus essential oil mixed with coconut oil rubbed on your chest or behind your ears is a natural way to soothe your breathing, just like Vick’s Vapor Rub. The scent diffused throughout the day has a soothing quality that can help to clear your sinuses.
6. Probiotics are a great way to keep your immune system healthy. The immune system starts in the gut, and using probiotics as a way to repopulate and strengthen the flora in your gut can have a positive effect on how your body battles outside stimuli.
Do you have a go-to allergy remedy? Let me know in the comments below!
Some links are affiliate links.