I am not a very happy camper when I’m not sleeping well. I can get ornery and short, loose focus easily, and it seems like my brain is firing slower. All in all I’m off my game. So I make it a point to try to fall asleep quickly when I can and when I’m anxious or restless I try to get myself ready for bed with intention and purpose, incorporating holistic techniques to de-stress me body for sleep.
The interesting thing about sleep aids is that they affect everyone differently! Herbs can affect the human body is a multitude of ways, so be sure to try out each supplement and pay attention to how your body feels!
1. Rescue Remedy Sleep. I swear by Rescue Remedy for both myself and my pup. This ‘sleep’ version is incredibly helpful in both quieting the mind and settling the body before bed with a mix of herbs specifically designed to promote sleep. It is also extremely convenient, coming in both capsules and a squirt bottle!
2. Epsom Salt Lavender Bath. Just a warm bath can help relax your body and prepare it for slumber, but add Epsom salt and lavender and you have a bath cocktail that will knock you out! Magnesium is soaked into the skin, calming nerves and muscles, and the aroma of soothing lavender can lull you slowly into sleep.
3. DIY Herbal Sleepy Time Tea. With chamomile, lavender, catnip, and mint this DIY tea (recipe post here) can help to calm your body and mind. Sip a cup or two of this caffeine-free concoction and drift of swiftly!
4. Hops. Yep, those same flowers that are used in beer, are known for their sedative qualities (ever wonder why after a nice beer you’re ready for a nap!?). You can take them in capsule, tincture, or extract form!
5. Melatonin. Maybe the most commonly known, melatonin is a hormone produced in the body that induces sleep. And while it is known to work wonders when it comes to insomnia, be wary- this supplement has been known to cause crazy dreams!
6. Yoga! Before anything I would recommend a nice restorative yoga sequence before bed. I went over five poses in my Yoga Poses for Sleep post that will promote restful sleep!
Do you have an at home go-to for sleepless nights? Let me know in the comments below!