I love chicken salad. What I don’t love is that it is so often made with an incredible amount of mayonnaise, which while tasty because of its ability to slightly sweeten the salad, is not particularly healthy. Enter the tart deliciousness of Greek yogurt! You can counter the tartness with sweet spices and you have a wonderfully healthy chicken salad, that in my humble opinion, is much more tasty than your average mayo-laden chicken salad!
– 2 Organic Chicken Breasts
– 1 Cup Chopped Carrots
– 1 Cup Chopped Celery
– ¾ Cup Greek Yogurt
– 1 ½ Tablespoons Thyme
– 2 Bay Leaves
– 1 Teaspoon Nutmeg
– 1 Teaspoon Onion Powder
– Salt and Pepper to Taste
1. In a heavy stock pot (I prefer Le Creuset cast iron pots) add cleaned chicken breasts and all spices including bay leaves.
2. Fill pot with water until the breasts are covered by about ½ inch to 1 inch water.
3. Bring to a boil, turn down heat and let simmer 10 minutes. Take the pot off the heat replace the lid and let sit for 20 minutes.
4. Let the chicken cool until it is able to be worked on, then using two forks, shred the chicken into threads that look like pulled pork.
5. In a large bowl add shredded chicken, chopped veggies, and Greek yogurt. Add salt and pepper to taste.
6. Mix well!
Are you looking for a healthy version of your favorite comfort food recipe? Let me know in the comments- I’d love to play with creating healthy recipes!