I am terrible about going to bed on time. I get lost on the Internet (oh, being a blogger), in a great book, working, or furiously cleaning everything including the dog hair trapped under the stove. I often stay up past when my body wants to so that I get over tired and thus incredibly hyper- odd how our bodies work that way! So to help myself calm down and ease into the “sleep mood” without rolling around all night I whip up a quick batch of what I call ‘Sleepytime Tea’ out of herbs I keep in my kitchen cabinets!
– 2 Tablespoons Chamomile
– 2 Tablespoons Dried Lavender
– 1 Tablespoon Catnip
– 1 Tablespoon Mint
– Optional: Raw Honey for Sweetener
I like making this in a big batch so I can just scoop out a teaspoon and steep my tea. Feel free to scale the recipe down!
1. Set water to heat up in a teakettle.
2. In a small bowl mix chamomile, lavender, catnip (yes, catnip- while it makes cats go crazy, it has a calming effect on humans), and mint.
3. Place a spoonful of the herbal mixture in a tea steeper or a small square of cheesecloth.
4. Pour hot water over the top.
5. Add honey if desired.
6. Cover, and let steep for 8-10 minutes.
Are you a “stay up past your bedtime” night owl like I am or are you a morning person? Let me know in the comments below!