When I know it is going to be a super busy week I like to take the time to do a bit of meal prep so I don’t have to worry so much about eating healthily when I don’t want to take the time to cook! So this week I decided to make my apartment smell amazing and roasted a full chicken with lemon, herbs, onions, and mushrooms. Yum, if I do say so myself! Roasting a chicken is actually surprisingly easy- tuck the wings, rub it down, add onion and you’re good to go!
– 1 Whole Chicken
– 1 Sweet Onion, Chopped
– 2 Tablespoons Fresh Sage
– 1 Tablespoon Fresh Rosemary
– 1 Tablespoon Fresh Thyme
– 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
– Juice of one Lemon
– 1 Lemon, Sliced
– Salt and Pepper, To Taste
– Mushrooms, Chopped
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Thoroughly clean your chicken. Remove the extras and rinse the whole bird inside and out, pat dry and place in an oven safe baking dish.
3. Stuff chicken with chunks of chopped onion.
4. In a food processor or blender, combine fresh herbs and olive oil.
5. Spread the olive oil mixture all over the bird, including wings, and legs then tuck the wings under the bulk of the body so they don’t burn!
6. Sprinkle mushrooms, any remaining onion chunks, and the leftover lemon rind around the bird.
7. Squeeze lemon juice over the whole bird and mushrooms, then top with lemon slices.
8. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.
9. Pop the bird in your preheated oven for 1 ½ to 2 hours depending on the size of your bird, or until when poked with a knife, the juices run clear!
I ate this Lemon-Herb Roasted Chicken while it was still hot with the mushrooms (which are wonderful with lemon!) and then saved the rest of the meat to use for sandwiches, snacks, and a quick easy meal to pop over quinoa or with asparagus!
Do you ever meal prep? Let me know in the comments below!