I love breakfast but I am often really lazy about making it. Usually I chuck ingredients together for a smoothie, scramble some eggs, or if I am feeling particularly meal-preppy (yep, I made that a word) I whip up a batch of my Savory Baked Egg Cups. But when I was walking down the aisles of the health food store I saw some gorgeous rhubarb stalks and just knew I needed them for breakfast over barley (or for dessert over ice cream!).
– 1 ½ Cup Pears, Sliced
– 1 Cup Rhubarb, Sliced
– Juice of 1 Orange (Approx. ¼ Cup)
– ½ Cup Brown Sugar
– 1 Cinnamon Stick
– 1 Teaspoon Vanilla
– ½ Teaspoon Ground Cloves
1. Combine brown sugar, vanilla, orange juice, vanilla, and cloves in a small bowl.
2. Add rhubarb, cinnamon stick, and brown sugar mixture to a saucepan on medium high heat. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and let simmer for 3 minutes.
3. Add pears, let simmer for an additional 5 minutes or until pears are soft.
4. Serve warm over ice cream or mix into oatmeal!
Simple, sweet, and delicious I love the versatility of a compote- especially one that blends sweet with the sour bite of rhubarb for a well rounded taste! Do you use a recipe that is incredibly versatile? Let me know in the comments below!