It is a rather ridiculous story, but I have been craving salt and vinegar chips for a good week. Potato chips are my downfall; I can (and have) eat an entire bag at once. So when cleaning the windows at one of the yoga studios last week with vinegar and water all I could think of, and smell, was salt and vinegar chips. So, to save myself from devouring a bag of (very unhealthy) potato chips, I decided to whip up a batch of beet chips with the same flavors. Tasty and guilt-free? Yes, please!
I use a dehydrator to make my beet chips, however you can also use an oven on a very low temperature. If you do decide to use an oven, make sure that you pay very close attention to the chips= burnt beets are just not tasty!
– Apple Cider Vinegar
– Sea Salt (I used Himalayan)
1. Wash and peel beets.
2. Add apple cider vinegar to a bowl, and use either a mandolin or a very deft hand to slice beets very thinly. Dip each beet slice into the vinegar.
3. Arrange vinegar-dipped beet slices on a dehydrator sheet or a parchment lined cookie sheet.
4. Sprinkle with sea salt.
5. Pop in the dehydrator at 125 degrees for 6-7 hours or until beets are crispy. If using an oven preheat to your oven’s lowest temperature (mine is 170) and adjust cooking time- 3-4 hours, checking chips often.
6. Sprinkle with more salt if desired.
I would recommend storing these in a hard-sided container rather than a bag- you don’t want your delicious chips to break before popping them in your mouth!
Have you had any silly cravings lately? Let me know in the comments below!