This crazy winter has been killer on my skin. I have been super dry all season- my skin just isn’t used to the lack of humidity in this Colorado weather. So I’ve been combating the dreaded ‘alligator’ skin with incredibly nourishing natural remedies. With Valentine’s Day tomorrow, I know there are plenty of you planning on looking your best- and that includes gorgeous, glowing skin! So why not skip the lotions filled with unpronounceable ingredients and opt natural to brighten up dull, dry winter skin! Plus, quite a few of these natural remedies are easily found in your kitchen!
1. Oatmeal Scrub. I explained all about the wonderful benefits of oatmeal for combatting dry skin in my DIY Oatmeal Lavender Face Scrub post, (make sure to check out the recipe!) but it boils down to: oatmeal is fantastic, gentle exfoliant, and moisturizer!
2. Coconut Oil. I swear by Dr. Bronners Fair Trade White Kernel Virgin Coconut Oil. It is an amazing all-in-one product that you can use for just about anything! I use it to cook eggs, but also, add a dab to the inside of your nose and prevent those pesky winter-dry bloody noses! It can also be used as a body and hair moisturizer!
3. Organic Honey. Honey is an amazing moisturizer that also has anti-inflammatory properties. Slather a bit on chapped lips before bed and wake up feeling moisturized and less puffy!
4. Calendula Oil. This one you might not find in your kitchen, but Boiron makes a wonderful Calendula Lotion that you can find in health food stores. When it comes to skin ailments calendula works wonders, it is an anti-fungal, antibacterial, antiviral, and anti-inflammatory agent that works incredibly well to ease skin discomfort, dryness, and even eczema.
5. Argan Oil. I’ve used Josie Moran Pure Argan Oil for years as a facial moisturizer and to smooth away any frizziness in my hair. It is incredibly moisturizing, and despite it being oil, it doesn’t leave you greasy! Just a few drops goes a long way, and it will leave your face and hair wonderfully glowy.
6. Olive Oil. Are you noticing an oil trend? They are the best moisturizers around! While you’re in the shower post-body wash, rub your skin with olive oil and rinse off, you’ll notice a visible difference in how moisturized your skin is afterwards!
Do you have a go-to home remedy for dry skin? I would love to know what you’d add to your list in the comments below!
Some links are affiliate links.