Blogger confession: this recipe makes six stuffed peppers. I may have eaten three of the peppers before snapping pictures to post. So, if you happento eat raw peppers before filling them up, you’ve got a great barley salad too! ( #HungryGirlProblems ) Anyhow, I love stuffed peppers- I’ve had them stuffed with pretty much everything, but I decided to create a vegan recipe that is big on flavor, with barley and plenty of veggies!
– 6 Peppers
– 2 Cup Barley, Cooked
– 10 Asparagus Stalks, Diced
– ½ Red Onion, Diced
– 2-3 Tablespoons Parsley
– 2 Cloves Garlic, minced
– ½ Cup Pine Nuts
– Salt and Pepper (to taste)
– Olive Oil
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. If you haven’t already, cook your barley.
3. Combine asparagus, red onion, parsley, garlic, and pine nuts in a large bowl.
4. Add warm, cooked barley and mix well.
5. Remove the tops of the peppers and de-seed. Reserve the tops for later use.
6. Fill each pepper ‘cup’ with a generous amount of the barley mixture.
7. Place filled peppers in a baking dish, drizzle with olive oil, and then replace tops to maintain moisture.
8. Bake for 30 minutes.
9. Remove tops and discard.
10. Serve hot!
Simple, healthy and delicious, I love these peppers for lunch! If you’re looking for a (very not-vegan) kick, sprinkle mozzarella or feta on top of each pepper for the last ten minutes of baking!
What is your favorite vegan lunch? Let me know in the comments below!