Happy Chinese New Year! And with the new year: Cocktails are back- yay! In honor of the Chinese New Year I’ve concocted a cocktail that captures the essence of two of my favorite Asian flavors, Star Anise and Ginger! However, I thought I would bring a bit of western flair to two eastern spices so the Asian Spice Jack and Ginger was born! Just a warning, with this coming year the Year of the Horse in the Chinese Zodiac Calendar, this drink is quite a kick in the pants (look at me being punny).
– 1 Can Ginger Ale (I used Zevia which is now flavored with Monk Fruit!)
– 3 Ounces Jack Daniels Whiskey
– 3-4 Medallions Fresh Ginger (plus some for garnish)
– 1 Pod Star Anise (plus some for garnish)
– ¼ Cup Sugar
– ¼ Cup Water
1. In a small saucepan create the simple syrup by combining sugar, water, ginger medallions, and star anise.
2. Bring the sugar water mixture to a boil and then let simmer 10 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool completely.
3. In a cocktail shaker filled with ice combine Jack Daniels and flavored simple syrup. Shake well.
4. Pour the liquid into glasses filled with ice.
5. Top off with Ginger Ale, then stir.
6. Garnish with star anise and ginger.
7. Enjoy cold!
I love learning about the Chinese Zodiac- I’m a Dragon! What animal are you!? Let me know in the comments below! Psst. Looking for more Chinese New Year fun? Pop over to my tutorial on DIY Chinese New Year Lanterns!
Leave a Reply