After a brief hiatus, Heather from Better With Veggies has restarted her Meatless Monday’s from A-Z challenge! This week’s letter was ‘O’ and the ingredient chosen was oats! My mom often makes a wonderful (and healthy!) oatmeal dish for breakfast and I asked if I could share the recipe! Thankfully she said yes- every one knows mom’s recipes are the best! Normally I am not a huge oatmeal fan, but this tastes like you’re eating apple pie for breakfast!
1. Add oats and water to a rice cooker.
2. Peel your apple and grate it into the water/oats mixture.
3. Chop crystallized ginger into small chunks, add to oats mixture and combine well.
4. Add all spices thoroughly mix into oatmeal mixture.
5. Allow oats to soften 5-10 minutes (your rice cooker should tell you when!) so they form into a thick consistency.
6. Serve hot!
Do you have a favorite oatmeal recipe? Let me know what you like to add in the comments below!