After holiday feasting and New Year’s Eve indulging I’ve been feeling a bit sluggish and off my game. Time for a New Year’s detox! When it comes to detoxing menu I love a good salad, they are super light and are an awesome canvas to dress up with lots of detoxing foods! Also, they are incredibly versatile, you don’t have to eat the same ingredients and proportions every day to feel progress- switch it up, your body (and your taste buds!) will thank you.
The ingredients I’ve included in this salad are all known for their detoxing properties and nutritional value! A quick overview: Dark leafy greens, like kale and spinach are high in fiber and lots of nutrients that aid in natural detoxification. Parsley, often just considered a garnish is incredibly nutrient dense and is known for strengthening your kidneys and bladder. Beets are full of nutrients that help to flush toxins out of your system. Flax seeds (are awesome) contain alpha-linolenic acid that has been shown to improve how your body uses insulin (the hormone that regulates/ flushes sugar from your blood stream.) Chia seeds are high in protein, fiber, and omega 3s. The dressing of lemon (which rids your body of toxins) garlic, (high in sulphur- that helps to remove toxins) and apple cider vinegar (it’s acids bind to toxins to remove them) is a super detoxifying agent all on its own!
– Chopped Beets
– Chopped Carrots
– 1 Teaspoon Flax Seeds
– 1 Teaspoon Chia Seeds
– Fresh Clove of Garlic
– 1 Tablespoon Apple Cider Vinegar
– Juice of ½ a Lemon
1. Thoroughly wash and de stem greens. Tear the leaves into smaller pieces so that they can be tossed. The ratio I like is 2 parts kale to 2 parts spinach to 1 part parsley.
2. In a small bowl add apple cider vinegar and the juice of half a lemon- combine well.
3. Using a garlic press (or a very deft hand) mince your garlic clove into the vinegar/lemon juice mixture. Whisk to combine.
4. Top salad with beets, carrots, flax seeds, and chia seeds.
5. Add dressing and toss well.
Are you planning on detoxing from the holidays? Let me know in the comments below!