While I absolutely love breakfast, I’m rarely creative when it comes to making my own on a daily basis. With the ingredient for this week’s Meatless Monday from A-Z challenge being jelly, I thought that it was the perfect time to stray from my go-to breakfasts! (If you’re wondering my standard breakfasts are half a cantaloupe filled with cottage cheese and cinnamon, and cage-free scrambled eggs cooked with coconut oil and peppers!) I happened to spot an ebelskiver pan at a thrift store here in Denver for six dollars- you seriously can’t beat that price- and I knew that I had to do ebelskivers this week, even if I did cheat a little bit and use jam instead of jelly!
Ingredients: (I tweaked the standard pancake recipe for a healthier spin.)
– 1 Cup Organic Whole Grain Pastry Flour
– 2 Cage-Free Organic Eggs*
– 1 Cup Almond Milk*
– ½ Teaspoon Pink Himalayan Sea Salt
– ½ Teaspoon Baking Powder
– ½ Teaspoon Vanilla Extract*
– 1 Tablespoon Organic, Unbleached Sugar
– 4 Tablespoons Organic, Unsalted Butter* (melted, in two separate 2 TBS portions)
– ½ Cup Jam or Jelly (I used Blueberry-Lavender Jam I canned last summer)
1. Whisk together all wet ingredients in a large bowl (denoted by *, only one 2Tbs serving of butter)
4. Preheat ebelskiver pan on medium heat.
5. Brush each pancake well with reserved melted butter.
6. Add a tablespoon of batter to each well, add a smaller spoonful of jam then cover with additional pancake batter.
8. Flip pancakes (VERY CAREFULLY) with either wooden skewers or chopsticks. They do make tools that are specifically for ebelskivers but chopsticks/skewers seem to work just as well.
Do you have a go-to breakfast that you rarely stray from? Or what is your favorite indulgent breakfast food? Let me know in the comments below!