I am beyond excited about the Fourth of July. I love the holiday- with its fireworks, themed picnics at which it is totally acceptable to eat every red, white, and blue food there is, and celebrations of being free, it is just so very American. So, to express my excitement, I will be blogging every day up until the Fourth, I can’t believe it is next week! Make sure to follow along for some stars and stripes themed fun!
Watermelon to me is one of those foods that is just quintessentially Fourth of July, so I knew I wanted to use it in a drink recipe to kick off the week! While browsing one of the blogs I follow, I came across a picture of a watermelon-basil salad, and my first thought was that sounds SO refreshing! So of course, the next logical step was to mash it up and serve it as a drink, totally normal.
1 Cup Cubed Watermelon
2 Large, Fresh Basil Leaves, Chopped
3 1.5 Ounces Gin (One Shot, I Used Tanqueray)
6 Ounces Seltzer Water (Half a Can)
1. Chop basil and cube watermelon. If your watermelon has seeds, make sure to remove the black ones!
2. Add watermelon and basil to a cocktail shaker. Muddle until the mixture is mostly liquid.
3. Add the shot of gin and 6 ounces of seltzer to the shaker, then fill the remainder with ice and shake vigorously.
4. Pour mixture into your glass through a strainer to keep out any chunks of watermelon, basil leaves, and seeds from getting into your drink.
5. Garnish with a slice of lime and a slice of watermelon, add ice (mine is in the shape of stars made in a tray from Ikea!)
What is your favorite refreshing summer drink? Let me know in the comments below!