So, you overindulged a bit this weekend, maybe had a few too many margaritas, and woke up feeling dead to the world. There is zero chance you are going to be able to hold a yoga pose, make it to the gym, or even just move with any semblance of grace.
We’ve all been there.
While it seems so easy to just reach for a leftover beer to wash down a handful of Ibuprofen, there are healthier ways to detox your body and re-enter the land of the living. Healthy hangover cures help fix the symptoms rather than mask them.
Step One: Hydrate!
Alcohol is a diuretic. This leads to dehydration that in turn can present as headaches, dry mouth, and body fatigue. Also, because of the quick loss of fluid from the body, you lose many vitamins and nutrients that need to be replaced. Make sure to avoid caffeine; it is another diuretic, and while it can make you more alert it also can exacerbate the problem.
1. Bolthouse Farms Smoothies. These smoothies are great tasting and full of essential vitamins that help with hangovers, specifically vitamin C which stimulates the liver to break down alcohol, as well as vitamins B12 and B6 which tackle your lethargy. My favorites are Green Goodness and Berry Boost.
2. Vita Coco Coconut Water. Coconut water is super hydrating and rich in electrolytes. Vita Coco offers fun flavors like pineapple.
3. Sambazon Organic Açaí Juice. Açaí is a superfood extremely high in antioxidants. These combat the toxins that alcohol has brought into your system. For an extra boost try Sambazon’s Açaí with Blueberry and Pomegranate to skyrocket your intake of antioxidants.
Step Two: Calm Your Stomach!
Ginger is a natural root that helps fight the inflammation of your stomach lining, soothing your nausea. I personally love the taste and often use it in my recipes but for some it a acquired taste. If this is the case, look for ginger in liquid form.
4. The Ginger People Organic Crystallized Ginger. The fastest way to soothe an aggravated stomach; just pop one of these in your mouth and chew away!
5. Tiesta Tea Ginger Sweet Peach. Chock full of fruit and ginger pieces but free of caffeine, brew a hot cup of tea to soothe your stomach. Hot tea can also help your sore throat after a night of laughing!
Step Three: Take a Bath!
Adding two cups of Epsom Salt to a hot bath relaxes swollen blood vessels, which helps with circulation and headaches, and draws toxins out of the body.
6. Lavender Scented Epsom Salt. Has the added benefit of calming lavender.
Step Four: Eat Detoxifying Foods
Many everyday foods have detoxifying properties. Eating these helps to remove alcohol’s toxins from your body and help your liver recover.
7. Kale. Leafy greens help to detox your body on a cellular level, especially the glucosinolates in kale.
8. Dandelion Greens. These dark green leaves are incredibly cleansing, but very bitter. You can try them as a side dish like in my recipe: Cod en Papillote with Dandelion Greens.
9. Garlic. Garlic is a blood purifier, perfect for ridding your system of the toxins that circulate with alcohol.
10. Avocado. Avocados are high in antioxidants and fiber, and when combined with garlic make fabulous guacamole. Who knew something so good could be a hangover food?
Next time you’re feeling awful, skip the pills and reach for something that’s really tasty and great for you instead!
|Tink is pleased. No hangovers means more walks!|
Do you have any go-to hangover cures? Let me know in the comments below!
This is not a sponsored post, all of these product recommendations are my own. Some links are affiliate links. Also, please note that I am not a medical professional and these recommendations are based on my own experiences and research.
these are really great, healthful tips. all too often i want mcdonalds when i'm hungover!
the creation of beauty is art. says
Not going to lie…this is going to come in handy tomorrow!
Yes, the will come in handy for me too this weekend… I'm in Milan for FW and I'm soooo tired!
La borsa di Mary Poppins says
wow beautiful pictures:)
wonderful tips!! we could all try this i think
Estefanía Ainoza says
paulina siedlecka says
i adore your blog! thank you soo much for nominating me for the award too pretty lady!!
Susan Buttice says
This looks great, I'm always trying to find new ways to cleanse my body ^_^ Check out my blog too, maybe we can follow each other ^_^