Happy Chinese New Year! Also known as the Lunar New Year, Chinese New Year is one of the most important of the traditional Chinese holidays. It is a time to honor one’s ancestors and cleanse one’s life to wash away any ill fortune and make room for good things to come.
Omnipresent in Chinese New Year celebrations, are Chinese lanterns, specifically red ones that symbolize happiness and good luck. These lanterns are simple to make and only require a few supplies, perfect for a last minute party decoration or a project to teach your little ones about another culture.
Plus, who couldn’t use some good luck?
What You’ll Need:
- Red Paper- I used textured cardstock to make them a little fancier, construction paper is also fine.
- A Pair of Scissors
1. Cut a thin strip of paper from one side of the paper, this will be used as the handle.
2. Fold the remaining paper in half, creasing well.
3. Starting from the folded edge, cut a series of incisions for the entire length of the paper. Stop each incision about an inch from the opposite edge. Tip: If you prefer more uniform strips trace lines with a ruler as a guide.
4. Place tape strips on top of the last strip of your paper, curve the paper into a cylinder and secure to the underside the first strip. Press to make sure each tape spot is secure. Tip: Don’t have tape? A stapler will do.
5. Using tape, secure the handle strip on the inside of the lantern creating a loop to hang the lantern.
6. Make a few! These look gorgeous hung in bunches!
|Tink and Kiwi are a bit confused.|
How will you be celebrating Chinese New Year? Let me know in the comments below!
seriously clever & simple!
thanks so much for your support on my blog – really means a lot xx
I love these lanterns ! i may do one thanks to your DIY ! what do you think of following each other on bloglovin' and GFC ? let me know
much of love,
Thanks for sharing! LOL the lantern with your dog..too cute! xo
NbyEn En says
It looks very stunning 😉
Very good idea. I have to try it 😉
Do you wanna follow each other? ;>
& please, like my page:
Lulu Soler says
These are great! I could totally use a project for me and my kiddos. Thank you for visiting. Following you back!
Tesa Jurjaševič says
Geraldine Chua says
Thanks for sharing! I'll give it a try next chinese new year 🙂
Emma Davidson says
love it !! thanks for sharing! xoxo
buy designer sunglasses | My Face Hunter
fa boheme says
Great idea! We love!
Love and Ace says
Great project hun! I'll have to try it next year – so festive! x, Kat
Love and Ace