We all know that I am whatever the dog equivalent of a crazy cat lady is. And as such, it would be rather ridiculous if I didn’t share the Valentine’s Day dog treat recipe that I created for my two pups this year! Healthy, simple, and made with ingredients you are sure to have on hand- why not spoil your dogs with a little extra love this holiday?
This recipe keeps well in the freezer- so make sure to make a big batch! Different cookie cutters can keep your shapes fun all year round, and the touch of sweetness from the beets can make any tail wag.
2 ½ Cups Whole Wheat Flour
2 Large Eggs
1 Large Beet (About 1 Cup, chopped if using food processor, grated if using a blender)
½ Cup Peanut Butter (Sugar Free is Best)
1. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Combine beets (chopped or grated) with eggs, blend until smooth. (This colors the eggs- making sure the treats are bright red!)
3. Add in peanut butter, blend until fully incorporated.
4. Slowly add in flour, adding water if necessary (no more than 1/8th cup)
5. Transfer dough into a bowl and knead until everything is incorporated.
6. Working in small batches on a surface lined with waxed paper, roll out dough into ¼ inch sheets.
7. Use a cookie cutter to cut desired shapes.
8. Transfer to a parchment paper lined cookie tray.
9. Pop into the oven for 20-25 minutes or until cookies have risen slightly.
10. Let cool and let your pups enjoy!
Want to see the treats in action? Watch below! (And don’t forget to subscribe!)
Do you do anything special for your pets on Valentine’s Day? Let me know in the comments below!