I love comfort food- rich, creamy, delicious, not necessarily great for you comfort food. And, when it comes down to it, spinach-artichoke dip is one of my favorites. I have been subbing Greek yogurt for the mayonnaise in recipes for quite a while now. The creaminess without all of the saturated fat? Yes, Please! (Healthy Chicken Salad anyone?) So I set out to finagle my family’s go-to artichoke dip recipe into a healthier, but still delectable version of itself. I have to say, I succeeded with flying colors. Yep, totally tooting my own horn. It is that good.
I know, ‘healthy’ is a word that means lots of things to lots of different people, but I think cheese is a-ok in my book, so healthy spinach artichoke dip it is! Plus, this dip is chock full of fresh veggies, the green onions even came from my community garden here in Denver!
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. While oven is preheating, finely dice artichokes, spinach, and green onion.
3. Combine all ingredients in a bowl, combine well.
4. Heap mixture into an oven safe dish, and place on a baking sheet in the oven. Don’t forget the baking sheet! Sometimes the excess liquid likes to drip, and cleaning your oven is SUCH a pain!
5. Let bake for 20-25 minutes or until top is brown and bubbly.
6. Serve hot with your favorite sliced baguette or crackers. I LOVE the Cracked Pepper 34 Degrees crackers with this dip. The pepper enhances each bite without overpowering the dip!
Do you have a favorite comfort food recipe you’d like to see made over? Let me know in the comments below!